17/11/2013

Change

Something I really had to learn: be open to change. This can be in any shape or form: while you’re designing, the way you sell your designs, your target audience, etcetera. Being a perfectionist, I wanted to do everything my way, but it took me a while to realize I was limiting myself.

Example: I first only ankepanke’s shop, where I sold everything. Everything I created and had printed. When I came in contact with snailmail (old fashioned letter writing with a creative twist), I was hooked. This also translated into my designs and I created the Snailmail Magazine. The positive reactions were so overwhelming and I realized I had to continue down that road. I kept the products in my shop for a while, but the products were to different and thus confusing for the clients. So I opened the Snailmail Shop. This allowed me to start a blog, Facebook page and Twitter and then it really took off.

I concluded it’s good to have a big range of products, but it’s also good to focus on one design. Of course this has to be something you’re happy with too. Change is good, it will allow you to grow.

While you’re designing it can be hard to open to change. You have an idea in your head, but it might not work. In your mind it can be awesome, but eventually not work in real life. It’s ok to be bummed about that, but then let it go. A designer is constantly growing and changing, it’s just a part of the creative process (I mean, compare your current work with what you did 3 years ago, it’s probably completely different).

No comments:

Post a Comment