11/12/2014

Twitter no-no's

Ie things that I personally find annoying.
I love Twitter. The challenge to convey your message in 140 characters (or actually, usually 117, because I almost always add an image), exchanging knowledge, making connections, etcetera. Even though Instagram is my favorite, Twitter if definitely a close second. But alas, there are a few things that regularly happen, that make the experience less fun. Maybe you have no idea that these things are actually annoying, so here are a few examples; my twitter-etiquette’* .

WELCOME OR DISCOUNT PROMO DM AFTER FOLLOWING
So apparently you can automate this, I didn’t know that, that knowledge actually makes more impersonal. But besides that it’s just really pushy. I imagine putting one foot in a store and the salesclerk immediately walking up to me to ask if they can help. I would really be inclined to turn around. Give a chance to look around and if I have a question I know where to find you.

FOLLOWING PEOPLE SO THEY'LL FOLOW YOU
I am sometimes followed by the most random people. For example, a little while ago, at my Happy Wrapping account a hotel chain started following me. Uhm.. ok? Their purpose was probably to alert me to their presence, so I’d follow them. After which, they would probably unfollow me immediately. Besides, there are people who follow-back everyone who follow them, not me. So, happy to have you, but I’m not going to do something with that.

SENDING THE SAME QUESTION/MESSAGE 10 TIMES
When I haven’t responded the first time, please get the hint. And I’m not talking about a direct question that I’m rudely ignoring, but promotion tweets.

UPLOAD PHOTO TO FB/IG WITHOUT A DESCRIPTION AKA 'I'VE JUST PLACED A PICTURE ON INSTAGRAM
It’s nice that you can connect various social media, so that you only have to upload once. But be sure to add a description. Without is very impersonal.

UPLOADING VARIOUS PICTURES AT ONCE (WITHOUT DESCRIPTION)
See previous, but several times. It does not trigger me to click on them, but to unfollow.

CONNECT PINTEREST TO TWITTER
Can be really handy, but if you’re pinning like a mad woman, others will see 10 or more tweets of that happening. Every now and again a pin-tweet is fine, but a lot? No thank you.

(DISCOUNT) TWEET WITHOUT A LINK
People are lazy, I am no different. If you tweet something I might find interesting and there’s no link added.. it depends on what I’m doing, but you can miss out on a sale/respond because I don’t feel link manually searching for your website. So: just add it!

MADE-UP ABBREVIATIONS
I don’t see them often, but when.. really confusing! Just don’t do it. If you’re having trouble with just 140 characters, try to shorten you text in a different way.

TOO MANY HASHTAGS
You want people to find you, I understand that. But the tweet needs to stay legible.

MISSPELLINGS
I don’t want to add this one, because I probably do this a lot. Grammar just isn’t my strong suit (and English isn’t my first language). But I imagine other people find this really annoying at times.

* The opinions about what is annoying or smart are divided. So there aren’t laws you need to follow, just suggestions.

No comments:

Post a Comment