02/03/2014

Be consistent

This personally annoys me with other designs (my own too! If I’m not paying attention or overlook something). What creates peace in a design, no matter what it is, is consistency. Use a grid, same fonts, lines width, style, and so on.

It’s ok to have some chaos in your design, if you want that, but there has to be some direction, order in it. To be honest, this is very subjective, there are plenty of designers that deliberately choose to not do this. Some people have even told me that I’m sometimes too consistent. This can make the image boring, but I prefer that over someone not knowing where to look. Another confession: I don’t really know how to create real chaos. I’m always centering and aligning everything.

To be sure, if everything is correct, you can write down what needs to be consistent. What font did I use, the distance, position, colors, etcetera. Check these when you’re design is done. Useful tip: check them one by one a time, so check you file a few times, this way the chance of missing something are smaller.

No comments:

Post a Comment